St. Augustine School was originally home to Ursuline Academy established by the Ursuline Sisters. In the 1920’s, the Sisters purchased the property at 1300 Galveston St. in order to expand their school from the downtown location on Convent St. The school building commonly referred to as the “Little School,” now housing fourth and fifth grade students and named Ursuline Hall, in recognition of the contributions by the Sisters to Laredo since 1868, was completed in 1928. In 1939, the Ursuline Sisters completed the building for Ursuline Academy (now known as St. Augustine High School). in 1975, Ursuline Academy closed and the school was sold to St. Augustine School, administered by the Sisters of Divine Providence.
Elementary & Middle School History
The elementary campus kept the name of Ursuline, as Ursuline Sisters remained among the faculty members, until 1990 when, at the request of the Ursuline Sisters, the name changes to St. Augustine Elementary School. The school has since continued to grow and prosper throughout the years. Today it housed K-3 through 8th grade and is accredited by the Texas Catholic Conference Accreditation Commission, using standards approved by the Texas Education Agency.
Through the generosity of the Lamar Bruni Vergara Foundation, the school has a new student center/cafeteria which opened its Early Childhood Center for grade K-3 through K-5. A new Middle School wing was added in the Fall of 2008. Additionally, through the support of the several foundations, the school is able to provide tuition assistance to families who need help to make Catholic educational accessible. St. Augustine celebrate 80 years of service to its students and the Laredo and Nuevo Laredo community in 2008 and continues its commitment to excellence in Catholic education, most especially under James A. Tamayo, Bishop of the Diocese of Laredo
High School History
St. Augustine High School is a co-educational Catholic High School serving Grades 9-12 promoting the highest academic standards and a solid foundation of Catholic values and traditions. It is fully accredited by the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department as approved by the Texas Education Agency.
St. Augustine High School became part of the Diocese of Corpus Chrisit in 1987. Then in July 2000 with the formation of the Diocese of Laredo, St. Augustine School became part of the Diocese of Laredo/ The School’s mission challenges each student to achieve academic excellence, to embrace Catholic values and traditions and to make a difference in the world. In the 80+ years of service to Laredo and neighboring communities, it has instilled this concept of excellence in over 4000 graduates. The school takes pride in the fact that 100% of the senior class is accepted into colleges and universities throughout the country, often their college/university of “choice” and is awarded millions in scholarships based on merit.
St. Augustine High School remains to date the only Catholic High School in Laredo, TX and in the Diocese of Laredo. Today, St. Augustine High School is staffed and administered by both lay and religious faculty, and it continues to base its education on a tradition of academic excellence and Catholic principles - a tradition founded in the history of St. Augustine School, St. Joseph’s Academy and Ursuline Academy; a tradition of educating and forming the whole person, mind, body, and spirit.
St. Augustine Catholic School, K-3 through 12th, is accredited by the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department, as per the standards of the Texas Education Agency. The school was re-accredited in the 2007-2008 school year. Areas evaluated upon re-accreditation by a statewide committee include: